Sunday, February 14, 2010

O.C.D.

So, I went to see a band this weekend. A friend told me his band (O.C.D.) was playing at this little hole in the wall in Virginia Beach, so I went down and saw them. Wow! I was shocked at how good they were. It kinda made me want to get together a band, but then I remembered the one-thousand other things going on in my life, and I realized that I don't have time for that... YET. I also want to write an amazingly bizarre, almost eerie poem like "The Raven," and I want to write a book, and I want to learn several languages, and I want to write a really cool computer program and give it away for free, and I want to be in a play, and I want to teach a class to college kids (real college, not sailors in the Navy), and I want to build something really cool, and I want to dance so great that the entire room stops and watches me in awe... The list goes on. I have decided that I will do all of these things. My poem may fall on deaf ears; my book may go unread; my language skills go unheard; and my dance be unseen, but I SHALL do these things before my life is over. And why not? It doesn't matter how old you are, where you live, or how you make your money... Set aside just a little time, or little money, or dedicate a little effort each week to doing the great things you want to do. Otherwise, what will you really accomplish? Sure, you may get your paycheck, pay your bills, and eat whatever food you want... But are you working toward accomplishing something??? If you are, you should have something to prove it--A little money in a bank account, a couple of paragraphs on a sheet of paper or in a file somewhere, or maybe a class to go to this Tuesday. Don't forget who you are and what you want to do. I haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment